- PlasTEAK Trim Lumber Specifications Sheet
- PlasTEAK Trim Lumber MSDS
- PlasTEAK Molded Lumber Specifications Sheet
- PlasTEAK Molded Lumber MSDS
- Order Lumber Samples
In addition to being eco-friendly, recycled plastic provides numerous advantages when compared to other materials from non-renewable sources such as wood:
- Recycled Plastic Lumber is long lasting and virtually maintenance free
- Recycled Plastic Lumber can be cut and shaped with normal woodworking tools
- Recycled Plastic Lumber never needs to be treated/painted and is resistant to most graffiti
- Recycled Plastic Lumber does not splinter, crack, chip, absorb moisture or rot
- Recycled Plastic Lumber is resistant to salt and acids and bacteria
- Recycled Plastic Lumber is unaffected by termites, rodents, worms, marine parasites, or other insects
- Recycled Plastic Lumber does not leech or bleed toxins or carcinogens into the soil or marine ecology
- Recycled Plastic Lumber is resistant to UV and mold and mildew
- Recycled Plastic Lumber is very easy to clean
Why is a 2×4 really 1.5 x 3.5??
All wood lumber sizes are given in mill sizes like 2×4, 2×6, 2×10 etc. These are sizes that the rough boards were originally cut to at the mill when the wood is green (not dried) and rough (unfinished). When it is sawed at a saw mill it is 2″ X 4″. Then the board is kiln dried and surfaced. The finished size is smaller as a result of drying (which shrinks the wood), and planing to smooth the wood.
Plastic lumber, even though it doesn’t need to be kiln dried or planed, is sold with the same finished dimensions as wood lumber because these dimensions have become an industry standard. A plastic lumber 2×4 is actually 1.5 inches x 3.5 inches… just like a 2×4 made of natural wood.